The dream shake move was made famous by Hakeem Olajuwon and his time with the Houston Rockets. The move, used correctly, puts the defender in a box and allows the offensive player to read them before setting up a quality shot with several shoulder fakes.
This basketball training video is going to breakdown several situations where this move can be used. The dream shake is a high-level move that takes a lot of time and practice to master, but if mastered, it will be very difficult for a defender to stop.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do the Dream Shake Move in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on getting to a spot and then executing the dream shake.
- Stay low and athletic in your move.
- Make sure that you land with both feet at the same time so that you have options with your pivot foot.
- Don’t be predictable with how many shoulder fakes you use.
- Read the defender and then pick what side you are going to fade to.
- Bring the ball up your side into your shot to help prevent being stripped by the defender.
- In the post, don’t jump out and give up your post position on the catch.
Basketball Drill Instructions Off the Dribble
- The player will start above the 3 point area with the basketball.
- They will make a penetrating move to the basket to get below the free-throw line area.
- The player will pick up their dribble and 180-jump stop onto two feet as they do.
- From here, the player will shoulder fake several times, read the defender, and then pivot and fade into their shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions for the Post
- The player is going to post up on the block.
- They will receive the entry pass from the wing or spin the ball to themselves.
- As they catch the ball, they will jump, stop, and land on both feet so that they have the option of which foot to pivot onto.
- The player can get right into the dream shake move, or they can take a couple of dribbles and then execute the move.