Being able to catch the ball in the post and finish with a drop step is all about finding a good angle and then making an explosive, strong move to the basket. It takes practice to develop the correct footwork and body positioning to really master this move.
This basketball drill will allow the player to get a lot of repetitions at the drop step finish, and it is also going to challenge them to be able to finish through contact as well. It is a great basketball post move drill for any player that spends time down on the block.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Drop Step Gather Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 3 partners, and a pad.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to do a Duck In Post Move in Basketball
- How to do a Drop Step Post Move in Basketball
- Hook Shot Gather Finish Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on finishing at the basket with power.
- You should be making your drop step move as you gather the ball, do your best not to shuffle your feet.
- Stay low and be explosive with your movements.
- Keep your shoulders squared to the basket, and don’t open up to the defender.
- Finish through the contact.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- There will be a partner just outside either block with a basketball and another under the basket with a pad.
- The player can start on either block.
- When the drill starts, the player must get down into an athletic post up stance, rip the ball out of the partner’s hands while also drop-stepping to the basket, and finally finish with a power layup or dunk.
- As soon as they finish that shot, they will go to the other side and repeat the move.
- Continue back and forth for a set number of shots, makes, or time.