Great basketball post players can catch the ball in the post, attack to get good post position, and then read the defender and execute the correct move. Being able to do this means that the post player has moves and counters to those moves.
The drop step post-move will be used when the defender slides over to take away the middle finish. The offensive player will use the defender’s body position against them for the drop step and finish on the baseline. This post-move basketball drill is something that every player should be working on regularly.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Drop Step Post Move Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, 1 pad, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Florida Gators Jump Hook Basketball Post Series
- How to do a Duck In Post Move in Basketball
- How to Do a Leg Whip Post Move in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Work on attacking to the baseline when the defender cuts off the middle attack.
- Make sure you do not start too low on the block because if you do, you will end up too far under the basket when you execute the drop step.
- Really look to attack hard to the middle to get the defender to slide over to cut you off, then execute a sharp drop step move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The post player will start on the block with the dummy defender behind them with a blocking pad.
- The passer is going to start on the lane line extended out at the 3 point line.
- To start this basketball drill, the passer will dribble over to the wing to create a better passing angle; as they are doing this, the post player will duck in to receive the pass.
- Once the ball is entered to the post, the player will chin the ball and check their inside shoulder.
- They will then attack to the middle with two hard dribbles trying to get better positioning.
- The dummy defender will slide over to cut off the player, and at this time, the post player will drop step to the baseline for the finish.
- If the player misses, they will rebound the basketball and finish.
- The player will get the ball out of the net and repeat, or the next player in line will go.