When playing against a good defensive team, it isn’t enough to just be able to get by your primary defender because you are almost always going to have to deal with a second help defender. This basketball finishing drill will help you work on being strong in the triple threat, making a move past the primary defender, and then finishing around the help defender. The player must be explosive to get past the first defender but under control enough to maneuver the help defender without picking up a charge. Basketball drills like this are valuable to a player’s development because they are working on game-specific moves.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Face The Fire Triple Threat Crossover Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 2 partners, one with boxing gloves/pads (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Practice facing the pressure out of the triple threat position and then finishing around the basket past the help defender.
- Focus on these three things while in the triple threat position; be strong with the ball, don’t let the defender make you turn your back or get you back on your heels, and see the floor the whole time.
- Be under control after you make the rip through move so you can make your second move.
- You can change the crossover move to any change of direction move you would like; behind the back, between the legs, etc.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will do the move from 3 different spots on the floor, and when he finishes all three spots, they are done with one set of the drill.
- Spots are; wing, top of the key, and opposite wing.
- Players will start on the wing with their back to the basket, spin the ball out to themselves, and then reverse pivot to face up to the basket in the triple threat position.
- When this happens, there will be a partner with boxing gloves/pads, and they will start fouling and pushing the player.
- The player must stay strong and keep in a triple threat position.
- When the coach/partner says go, the player will rip through and attack the basket.
- As they do, another partner will step up as a help defender, and the player must make a crossover move to get past the help and then finish at the basket.
- They will get their own shot and go to the next spot and repeat the move.