Learning to face pressure and then rip through past the defender is exactly what this finishing basketball drill will work on. It is called face the fire because you have to stand up to the defender and face the pressure while you are in the triple threat position. If the defender makes you fall back on your heels, turn your back, or waste your dribble, they win. You must be strong enough to face the pressure and then make them pay for over-pressuring you.
Only after you have done this will the defender respect you and give you your space because they are tired of getting driven past. This basketball drill also works on finishing past the help defender because any good defense will rotate a second defender to help on the drive. Here is where the pro hop move comes into play.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Face The Fire Triple Threat Pro Hop Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 2 partners, one with boxing gloves/pads (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Practice facing the pressure in the triple threat, ripping through, and then finishing with a pro hop move.
- Keep your eyes up the whole time so that you can see the floor.
- Don’t let the defender make you turn your back or put you on your heels.
- Be strong with the ball and keep it moving so that the defender can’t steal it.
- When you rip through, make sure that it is in a straight line to the basket and that you go somewhere with your dribble.
- You can work on low, medium, or high rip through’s with this drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will do the same drill from 3 different spots on the floor; wing, top of the key, and opposite wing.
- They will start with their back to the basket, spin the ball out to themselves on the wing, and reverse pivot in triple threat position to the basket.
- As they are doing this, the coach/partner will be fouling them with the boxing gloves/pads.
- They must continue to be strong in the triple threat position until the coach/partner says go, and at this point, they will rip through and attack the basket under control.
- A second defender (partner) will take a charge, and the player must pro hop around them and finish at the basket.
- They will get their ball out of the net, and immediately go to the next spot to repeat the drill, stop after completing the third spot.