Every time you use a down screen in a basketball game, you need to read your defender and then make the right cut to get open. The fade cut is used when the defender tries to jump the down screen and go under the screener. This allows you to break off the cut and fade to the wing or corner for an open catch and shoot shot.
This basketball drill will show you how to use a fade cut in basketball by teaching you how to set your man up and then the proper footwork to get your shot off. You must be able to read the defender and use the appropriate cut if you are going to be effective shooting off of a down screen. This type of cut is one of the basketball fundamentals that every wing player should learn.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Use a Fade Cut in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1-2 basketballs and 1-2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ray Allen Curl Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Ray Allen Fade Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Ray Allen Straight Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Learn the right footwork and preparation for using a fade cut.
- Practice setting up your defender each time before coming off the screen.
- Plant with your inside foot when you get to the chair, and then try to get as much space as possible on the fade cut.
- Don’t drift back on the shot.
- Get out and get back in so that your momentum is moving forward on the catch.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place a chair on either side of the floor just outside the elbow.
- Have the passer stand at the top of the key and the shooter under the basket.
- The shooter will set the imaginary defender up by stepping across to the opposite lane line and then cutting back quickly to use the screen.
- As the shooter reaches the chair, they will check back over their inside shoulder to practice reading the defender.
- When they get to the chair, they will plant their inside foot and fade to the wing/corner for a catch and shoot shot.
- You can also work on the shot fake one dribble pull up or sweep to the basket if desired.
- After the shot, the player will reset under the basket and get ready for the next shot.
- Continue for the desired amount of shots, makes, or time.