Developing good footwork is very important for big men as well as guards. Your big man should be able to catch the ball on the block and have the footwork to finish the play without traveling. Depending on the player’s level, the post player may be required to do more advanced moves around the basket, but with a strong foundation of correct footwork, it will help the post player prepare for whatever moves they need to learn.
Footwork and agility basketball drills are just as equally important for great shooters. Shooting on the move is all about the player getting their feet set and body squared up to the basket, which requires good footwork. So whatever position you play, it is important to be able to have great footwork.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Figure 8 Footwork Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Icky Shuffle Line Footwork Basketball Drill
- Reverse Figure 8 Footwork Basketball Drill
- Foot Ups Around the World Footwork Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on footwork and foot quickness.
- Teach your players to play light on their feet.
- Once you get the rhythm, push yourself to go as fast as you can.
- Try not to lean over but stay straight up and down.
- You want to do your best to stay as light as possible on your feet and control your foot movement.
- Don’t let your heels touch the ground.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with your feet together and the ball to your right.
- Bring your inside foot in front of the ball and then your outside foot behind the ball.
- Now do the same thing back.
- Your inside foot will go in front of the ball every time, and your outside foot will go behind every time.
- You can go for 30-60 seconds as quickly as you can, or you can change up your speeds.
- If you are going to mix up your speeds, go for about 10 seconds jogging and then turn it up to a sprint pace for 10 seconds.
- Alternate back and forth between jog and sprint speed for 30-60 seconds.
- You can also have a coach say when to change speeds.