There are several different ways that a team defense in basketball can guard a ball screen. The player using the screen must know how to read what the defense is doing, but they can also use the correct move to exploit the defense. This basketball drill will go over the flat hedge and what the player should do when the other team’s big man flat hedges on the ball screen.
This off the dribble basketball shooting drill will be instructed by an expert coach and then demonstrated by a high-level basketball player. That way, you can learn what the player needs to do and then also see it done the correct way. A big key to this move being done the right way is patience. The player must be patient when attacking the flat hedge and not try to force it too soon.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Flat Hedge Wing Ball Screen Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 3 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Squeeze Defense Wing Ball Screen Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Turn the Corner Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Retreat Dribble Attack Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Read the defense and then work on attacking the flat hedge ball screen defense.
- Make sure that your timing is right when you pop out to receive the pass on the wing.
- Jab step your imaginary defender before using the screen.
- Be patient when attacking the flat hedge.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- There will be a partner on one wing, two partners at the top of the key (1 on offense and 1 on defense), and the player on the other wing with the ball.
- When this basketball shooting drill starts, the player is going to skip pass the ball to the opposite wing.
- The ball will be swung around the key back to the player, but while it is, the player is going to V cut to get open.
- Once the player catches the ball, the offensive player at the top of the key will come set a ball screen.
- The player must jab step away from the screen to set their imaginary defender up and then use the screen.
- When this happens, the token defender is going to flat hedge out on the player.
- The player must drag the flat hedge out, and then as soon as the token defender goes to recover back to their man, they are going to attack hard for a pull-up jump shot.
- Now reset and have the player go again, or have the next player in line go.