There are multiple different ways that a defense can guard a side ball screen action. So the player must know how to recognize which way the defense is guarding the screen and then make the correct move. For this basketball drill, the player will be working on attacking towards the baseline off of a flipped side ball screen action.
This basketball finishing drill is going to be used to simulate when a defense tries to deny the side ball screen to the top, and the post player switches to the low side to set the screen instead. The second part of the move that the drill will work on is finishing over the top of the post defender sitting in the lane. You must always be taking into account the help defense when you practice your different scoring moves.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Flipped Side Ball Screen Floater Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: One basketball, 2 partners, and a chair.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ball Screen Turn the Corner Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Refusal Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Pull Up Jump Shot Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on reading a ball screen, attacking to the baseline, and then finishing over the help defender.
- Be patient on the screen and allowing the post player to flip around to the low side before using the screen.
- Practice seeing the floor while you are using the ball screen.
- If the post player is sitting waiting to take a charge in a game, you must jump straight up and down on the floater to eliminate the charge.
- If you don’t have two partners to do this drill with, you can set up a chair on the wing to simulate the screening action.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a chair on the block to simulate the defensive post player.
- The player will start with the basketball out by the wing, with one of the partners guarding them.
- The other partner is going to come set a screen on the defender.
- When this happens, the defender will jump to the high side of the player and try to deny them the screen.
- At this time, the screener will flip the screen so that the player can attack towards the baseline.
- The player will attack hard off the ball screen towards the baseline and then use a floater or a runner over the post defender (chair).
- After the shot, reset everything and repeat.
- Switch sides after the desired amount of repetitions.