In today’s game of basketball, it is important that post players are not only able to play inside by the basket but also be able to handle the basketball. A post player who can take a couple of separation dribbles after a rebound to outlet the ball up the court or can help bring the ball up the court against a press can add a lot of value to a team.
This post-move basketball drill from the Florida Gators is going to combine ball-handling and finishing in the post. It is a great basketball drill to use in a one on one/small group workout or with an entire team.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Florida Gators Inside Pivot Basketball Post Series
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, cone/chair, passer, and a rebounder.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Florida Gators Pick and Pop Basketball Shooting Drill
- Florida Gators Pick and Roll Basketball Finishing Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling and finishing in the post.
- Stay low and athletic on your dribble move and snap your pass.
- Make sure that you hold your pivot foot and really sell your jab step move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start on the right-wing, and the passer will be on the left.
- Set up a chair/cone halfway up the right lane line between the player and the passer.
- When the drill starts, the player will attack the cone/chair and make an attack move (you can choose the move).
- After the player pushes the dribble past the chair/cone, they will snap a chest pass to the passer on the wing.
- The player will then post up on the block, receive an entry pass, inside pivot, and then shoot.
- The player will immediately repost for another entry pass where the player will inside pivot, jab step to the baseline, and then attack to the middle for a finish.
- This completes one time through the drill.
- The next player in line will go, or the player will repeat the drill.
- Once you get the desired amount of repetitions, switch sides of the floor, and repeat the drill.