Having post players that can start the break by handling the basketball and then making a kick ahead pass can add a lot of value to your offense. A great example of this is some of the post players that have played for the Florida Gators in the past; Joakim Noah, Al Horford, David Lee, and several others. That is why this basketball post move drill will work the post player’s ability to first handle the basketball and then make a great scoring move in the post.
This drill will allow the player(s) to get a lot of repetitions at handling the basketball on the go and the jump hook move, which will allow the player to be comfortable using the different moves during the course of a game. You must be making sure that you are working on game-specific moves with all of your basketball drills.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Florida Gators Jump Hook Basketball Post Series
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 partners, and a chair/cone.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to Do a Leg Whip Post Move in Basketball
- Hook Shot Gather Finish Basketball Drill
- How to do a Drop Step Post Move in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling and the jump hook move in the post.
- Stay low on the dribble move and cover ground after you make the move.
- Don’t bring the ball down on the catch in the post.
- You can change the dribble move up to whatever move you want to work on.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place a chair/cone halfway up the lane line and have the player start with the ball on the wing, even with the chair.
- One partner will start under the basket to rebound the basketball, and the other partner will be on the opposite lane line.
- The player will attack the chair with the dribble and make an in and out crossover move past the chair into the paint (take one dribble past the chair), jump stop, and then fire a pass to the partner on the opposite wing.
- As soon as the pass is made, the player will go right down to the block where they will get the ball back for a jump hook to the middle, followed immediately by another pass in for a jump hook to the baseline (two jump hooks).
- This completes one repetition, so either the next player in line will go, or the player will repeat the action.
- Each player should go through 3 times before switching sides.