A great way for basketball post players to add value to their game is to score out of the high post area. This is because most post defenders are not as comfortable guarding the ball out away from the basket. This type of scoring situation works really well for post players with good footwork and a quickness advantage over their defender.
This basketball drill will start with having the post player work on flashing up from the block to get the catch because this will keep the post defender from pushing them out to the three-point line on the catch. Great post players can read their defender and then make the correct move. That is why, for this basketball post move drill, you are going to work on several different moves. This will allow the player to evaluate the defender on the catch and then make the appropriate move to exploit them.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Florida Gators Lane Line Post Flash Series Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1-2 basketballs and 1-2 partners (the pad is optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on scoring from the elbow with the face-up shot, rip through, and jab go opposite moves.
- Always catch the ball with your back to the basket, and then square up.
- Stay low on your move, and don’t let the pad drive you back on the finish.
- Stay in your shot until you make or miss.
- Depending on the number of players in the drill, you can adjust the number of makes needed per move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on either block, and the passer will be at the top of the key.
- If you have a 3rd partner to operate the pad, they will be in the paint.
- When the drill starts, the player will flash straight up the lane line to the elbow, catch the ball with their back to the basket, drop their inside foot for a reverse pivot, and then shoot a shot from the elbow.
- The player will repeat this movement until the desired amount of shots are made.
- For the second move, the player will flash up to the elbow the same way, catch the ball, reverse pivot, etc., but this time instead of the shot, they are going to rip the basketball through and attack down the lane line for a finish.
- When they attack, the partner with the pad is going to push against them.
- Continue this movement until the desired amount of makes are reached.
- For the third lane line flash move, the player will jab and go opposite, and then look to score down the middle of the lane with a hook shot while the partner with the pad harasses them.
- Once you have completed all the makes for all three types of moves, change sides and repeat.