When you are in man to man on-ball defense, you must be able to slide laterally and cut off the defender in front of you when he/she tries to drive. For the follow the leader drill, you are going to work on something very similar. You will need to mimic the leader and change direction as they do. This basketball quickness and speed workout will help you think, develop your change of direction quickness and your reaction time.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Follow the Leader Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Partner
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Help you think, develop your change of direction quickness and your reaction time.
- Keep your eyes on the leader’s hips, and stay balanced.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- This drill can be done with two people or an entire team.
- One person will be The Leader, and everyone else must follow him/her.
- The leader can move in any direction he/she wants while varying speed, and the followers must do the same.
- Include a basketball to increase difficulty.
- To increase the cardiovascular benefit, have each player take over The Leader position intermittently.