Developing touch as a shooter is a big part of being a great shooter in basketball, and it is something that you should constantly be working on during your basketball training or simply to warm up before a game. It is also a great way to work on your shooting form and remind yourself of the basics. For this touch basketball shooting drill, you are going to be working on the freeze fake shot.
This type of shot is going to be used in a few different situations, but a couple of them are; when a defender is closing out a shooter before they shoot, and they only end up coming halfway out because they are playing the drive. Another is on a dribble pull up, and the shooter wants to get the defender off balance and out of defensive position. This is not the easiest shot to master, but it can be very effective if you are able to do so. This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will help with this mastering and allow for a ton of quality repetitions.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Freeze Fake Touch Shooting Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Lane Lines Touch Shooting Basketball Drill
- Warm-Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Touch Shots Curl Shooting Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Warm-up and work on the freeze fake shot.
- Focus on the proper footwork and shooting form, and always come into your shot the same way.
- Visualize the defender and really sell your freeze fake.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start in the paint with the basketball, and they are going to spin the ball out to themselves somewhere on the floor within 8-10 from the basket.
- As they grab the ball, they will come into their shot, and then they will shoot a freeze fake shot.
- After they shoot, land, and wait to see if the shot goes, they will get their rebound and the repeat.
- For this basketball drill, you can go for a certain amount of time or for a set number of shots or makes.