Attacking with the basketball in transition requires you to be ready to make a quick move if a defender steps up in front of you. It may be a crossover, behind the back move, etc. But you need to quickly read the defender and then make the appropriate move to get by them and protect the ball.
This one ball basketball dribbling drill will simulate attacking in transition after a defensive rebound. It will allow the player to make several transition dribble moves as they advance up the floor and then finally finish at the other basket. The goal of this basketball drill is to allow the player to work on handling the basketball at a high speed and then still be under control enough to make a good move to get by the defender.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Full Court any Move Diamond Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 4 cones/chairs.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Crossover Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Push Crossover Dribble Basketball Drill
- Full Court Crossover Diamond Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on being able to make moves on the move in transition.
- Challenge yourself to go faster and get out of your comfort zone.
- It is okay if you turn the ball over while doing the drill because it shows you are getting out of your comfort zone.
- Keep your eyes up and see the floor as you advance up the court.
- Stay low and athletic as you handle the ball.
- Don’t use the same move two times in a row.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- A chair will be placed in the center of each free throw line and on the half-court line 5-6 feet from the center circle.
- A player is going to start at each basket with a basketball.
- When the drill starts, each player will toss the ball off the backboard, jump up as high as possible for a rebound, pivot out, and attack the first chair with their left hand.
- They can make one of the following moves at the chair: crossover, between the legs, behind the back, or reverse between the legs.
- As soon as they make the move, they will push out the ball and attack the 2nd chair to the right repeating the same thing but with a different move this time.
- Finally, attacking the third chair, the player will make one last dribble move and then finish at the basket.
- The next player in line can go, or the player can repeat the drill.