A great way to make your ball screens more effective and keep the other team’s big man from aggressively extending out on ball screens is to have your ball screen man slip the ball screen. Once the screener feels his man on his outside hip, he/she should slip right to the basket for a layup or dunk.
Once this happens a couple of times, the defensive big man won’t cheat out as much on the ball screen, and this will open it up for the ball handler to turn the corner and make a play. Keep the defense honest and get easy buckets by learning how to slip a ball screen. Basketball drills like this are all about working on the details of the move, really pay attention to the video and watch the angle of the screen, the cut, etc.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Game Situation Ball Screen Slip Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Game Situation Pitch Ahead 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Post Entry Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Skip Pass Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on selling the ball screen and then slipping to the basket for an easy finish.
- Round off your ball screen angle and visualize the defender that is guarding you.
- Mix up the timing of your slip and also your speed.
- When you go to slip, make it as quick as you can and go right to the basket.
- Be under control because another defender may step up to take a charge or try to block you.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Players will start with a basketball on the wing, and the coach/partner is going to stand on the lane line extended at the 3 point line (can be done pretty much anywhere on the arc where a ball screen would be set).
- Now the player will pass the coach the basketball and then go to set a ball screen.
- Before the player gets to the ball screen, they will slip to the basket for a finish, and the coach will pass them the basketball as they do.
- They need to catch and finish the basketball, get their make, and then get back in line.