Moving without the basketball to get easy baskets adds great value to your game and to your team on offense. To do this effectively, though, you need to work on being able to sell like you are going one way and then change it up.
These types of basketball drills are great for working on game-specific situations that you will come across during the course of a game. This will help you sell that you are coming up to receive a handoff, and then cutting back door for the finish at the basket. In a game, a big part of this move is reading the defender. If they are overplaying the handoff, you will be open for the backdoor. This basketball finishing drill will allow for a lot of quality repetitions using this action.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Game Situation Fake Hand Off Backdoor Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Game Situation Pitch Ahead 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Post Entry Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Skip Pass Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Sell like you are coming to get a handoff and then cut backdoor for a finish at the basket.
- Make sure that you take a good angle to receive the handoff.
- Visualize your defender and practice going from slow to fast.
- Change up how early you cut backdoor.
- Mix up your finishes around the basket because another defender could step up to take a charge or try and block your shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The coach or partner will stand just inside the point line on the wing, and the player(s) will start in the corner with a basketball.
- The first player in line will pass the basketball to the coach and act like they are coming up to get a handoff.
- Before they get there, though, they will cut back door, and the coach will lead them with a pass to the basket for a finish.
- The player will finish at the basket, get their own shot, and then get back in line.