Being able to shoot the basketball in transition is different from just standing there for a catch and shoot shot. The goal of this basketball drill is to practice a specific game situation shot. The shot that you will be working on for this specific catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is the pitch ahead 3 pointer. The player will be able to practice coming into their shot with the correct footwork and get plenty of quality shooting repetitions.
To be a great transition 3 point shooter, you need to really focus on getting your body squared up and not drifting on the shot. So as you go through this basketball shooting drill, really focus on the details of each shot and making sure that you are staying disciplined.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Game Situation Pitch Ahead 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 Basketballs and 2 Partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 3 Tier Basketball Shooting Drill
- Line Basketball Shooting Drill
- 10 Spot Boston Celtics Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting a pitch ahead 3 pointer.
- Get your footwork right and jump straight up and down on your shot.
- Hold your follow-through and stay in your shot till you make or miss.
- Get your head turned around early to receive the pass.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter will start at half court on either wing line, and the passer will stand at the center of half court.
- The player will run to the 3 point line for the shot, and the passer will pitch ahead the basketball for the shot.
- Make sure to pass the basketball before the player gets to the 3 point line to help simulate a game shot.
- After the player shoots, they will run back to half court and then repeat.
- You can do this drill for a certain amount of time, shots, or makes.