Game situation basketball shooting drills are really good because you can practice a specific shot that you will shoot during a game. For this catch and shoot basketball drill, you will work on relocating for a shot when the ball goes into the opposite post.
For this basketball drill, there are a couple of things that you need to focus on besides catching and shooting. First, you need to find the post player’s eyes and relocate to an open passing lane for the shot. If you do not slide into a passing lane, the post player will not be able to see you or make the pass, even if your defender helps off of you. Also, make sure that you adjust your body behind the ball while the pass is in the air. That way, you can get right into your shot before the closeout gets to you.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Game Situation Post Skip Pass Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Game Situation Pitch Ahead 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Post Entry Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
- Game Situation Skip Pass Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Practice relocating and then shooting the basketball on the post skip pass.
- Visualize yourself sliding into an open passing lane for the post player.
- Be ready to shoot the basketball whenever it is kicked out to you.
- Don’t reach for the ball on the pass but adjust your body under it.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The partner will start with the basketball on the block, and the shooter will be on the opposite wing.
- When the coach takes a dribble with the basketball, the player will either slide up or down around the 3 point line.
- Now the partner will skip pass the ball to the shooter for the catch and shoot shot.
- Reset and then repeat for the desired amount of shots.