On a skip pass, you are rarely going to get a perfect pass right to your shooting pocket for a shot. For this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill, you will work on relocating under the ball while it is in the air. This will really improve your shooting percentage and train yourself to adjust to bad passes.
Anytime you can get your work done before the ball gets there, you are setting yourself up for a better chance at a make. Basketball drills like this one are great because they will help you work on a specific shot that a shooter will get during the course of the game. Every shot needs to be at game speed and executed how it would be in a game, don’t develop any bad habits.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Game Situation Skip Pass Relocate Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 Basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Practice adjusting under a skip pass for a higher percentage shot.
- Do your best to adjust your body under the pass so that you don’t have to reach out sideways to catch the basketball.
- Be down ready to shoot the basketball as it comes to you.
- If you catch the basketball over your head, you will most likely have to put a little extra on your shot to keep it from being short.
- For this basketball shooting drill, you want to have the shooter practice filling up and down so they can get reps at both.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter will be on one wing and the passer on the opposite wing with the balls, rebounder by the basket.
- The passer will make a skip pass across the court to an area where the shooter is not standing, and the shooter must relocate under the pass and then catch and shoot the ball.
- Continue this for the desired amount of shots or makes and then switch wings.