This combination basketball shooting drill will have a few different moving parts to it, but it is perfect for simulating offensive scoring moves and then getting quickly into a pressing defense and having your head on a swivel. If you are working on any press defense and need to go from offense to defense quickly, this is one of the better basketball drills to use.
And although this is a basketball shooting drill, it will allow players to get some finishes at the basket. This mixture of shooting and finishing at the basket will provide a more game-like feel.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Georgetown Multiple Effort Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 3 basketballs, 2 chairs, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on scoring moves and then quickly getting back into defense.
- Be sharp with your different moves and value every shot; don’t run off early to the next spot before you finish your shot.
- Outlet passer can make passes harder or easier to steal depending on the player.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up one chair on the left-wing, one chair on the right elbow, and another chair in the mid-range area of the right corner.
- Set a basketball in each of the chairs on the right-wing.
- The player will start with a basketball at half court on the left side of the floor.
- When the drill starts, the player will attack the chair on the left-wing and make any move they want before finishing at the basket.
- As soon as they finish, they will go to the right lane line and defensive closeout at the elbow chair.
- As they are doing this, the coach will call out “1” or “2”.
- If the coach calls out “1,” the player will slide to the corner chair, open up around the chair, grab the ball from the chair, and then shoot it.
- After that, they will fill up around the elbow chair and get a catch and shoot shot at the free-throw line.
- If the coach calls out “2,” the player will slide to the corner chair and then back to the elbow-chair where they will open up, circle the chair, grab the ball and shoot it.
- After this shot, they will fill to the left-wing area for their catch and shoot shot.
- Regardless of what number the coach calls, after the player shoots their last shot, they will sprint back on defense and steal the lob pass that the partner tosses.