Often, on an offensive rebound, the post defender will be out of position, which opens up the perfect opportunity to make a move and finish at the basket. If there is no room to make an offensive move in a game, the post player can kick the ball out, but if there is room, the player needs to know what to do with the ball.
This rebounding basketball drill is going to work on exactly that. It will have the player get up on the rebound and then finish with a shot fake hook shot move. Not only will the player learn a new move with this drill, but they will also be able to get a lot of repetitions at the move, which will help them in being able to transfer this move over to a live game situation. Basketball drills like this are great for players because they develop multiple areas at the same time and work on a game-specific movement.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Get Your Own Rebound Shot Fake Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 5 Spot Offensive Basketball Rebounding Drill
- David Thorpe Ball High Finish Basketball Rebounding Drill
- Out of Area Catch Minute Finish Basketball Rebounding Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on offensive rebounding and then finishing around the basket with a shot fake hook shot finish.
- Don’t wait for the basketball to come down to you on the rebound; get up off the ground as high as you can, and extend your arms to grab the ball.
- Do your best to not bring the ball down to your waist when you get the rebound; you don’t want to give guards access to the ball.
- On your shot fake move, make sure that you are selling the move with your eyes and the ball.
- Don’t open your chest up to the basket on the hook shot.
- You need to keep your shoulder between you and the defender to shield them off.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have the player start on either block facing the basket, and the partner under the hoop with the basketball.
- When the drill starts, the partner will bounce the basketball up in the middle of the paint, and the player must jump up and rebound the basketball.
- As soon as they rebound the ball, they will shot fake and then finish with a hook shot.
- The partner will grab the rebound (make or miss), and the player will go to the opposite block and get ready for the next repetition.
- You can do the drill for a set number of shots, makes, or time.