This is a great basketball team drill that simulates a real action that should happen multiples times throughout the course of a game. The action that it will work on is guard penetration to a dump-off pass to the post player. If the guard can get into the paint and get the post defender to commit up the paint, it opens up opportunities to either toss the ball in over the top of the defense or bounce pass it to the post player.
The more a guard can work on reading these types of situations, the more comfortable they will be in an actual game. The dummy defender can practice coming at the guard in a variety of ways to help keep the drill more game-like. It is also an excellent basketball drill for post players because it allows them to practice catching the basketball while moving to the basket for the finish.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Guard Dump Off Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, a chair, 2 players, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on driving and dumping off to the post player, and then also getting a down-screen shot.
- Mix up your moves at the chair and stay low and explosive.
- Practice feeding the post player over the top and with a bounce pass.
- Set your imaginary defender up every time before using the down screen.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The post player will be on the left block, and the guard will be out above the key with the ball.
- Place a chair at the top of the key, have one partner guard the post player, and the other has a ball out on the left-wing.
- When the drill starts, the guard is going to make a move at the chair and penetrate into the paint area.
- The dummy defender will step up at this time, and the guard must make the dump-off pass to the post player for the finish.
- After the pass, the guard will come off of the chair for a straight cut into a catch and shoot shot.
- The post player must be ready to rebound the potential miss.
- After this, reset and repeat the action.