As a scorer in basketball, you will get different types of shots throughout the course of a game. Some may be off the dribble, off the catch, using a screen, etc. You must be comfortable with these different types of shots and can capitalize on each of them.
This basketball shooting drill will to work on three different types of shots, all in sequence. All of these shots will occur regularly throughout the course of a game, and this drill will help the player master each type of shot. It is also a great basketball drill for staying mentally engaged as you get tired. Having multiple sequences that the player must do forces that player to stay mentally locked in throughout the drill.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Hedge Game Situation Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, cones, and two partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Combination Game Shooting Basketball Drill
- Defender Goes Under Game Situation Scoring Basketball Drill
- Flat Switch Game Situation Scoring Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on scoring within the offense in multiple ways.
- Stay mentally engaged and execute each move at a high level.
- Stay in your shot until you make or miss, don’t leave early to the next shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place a cone/chair on the wing to simulate a ball screen.
- One partner will be in the paint to rebound, and the other partner will have a basketball and start at the cone as a defender.
- The player will start with a basketball just above the cone, they will dribble the basketball below the cone, and then come off like a ball screen.
- The partner will hedge out at the ball handler, and they must turn the corner for an elbow pull up jump shot.
- After this shot, the player will go down to the block, set up their imaginary defender, and then execute a fade cut to the corner for a shot.
- For the final shot, the player will curl to the elbow for a catch and shoot.
- Without any break, reset and repeat these 3 shots in the same sequence.
- Repeat this pattern 3-5 times and then have the next player go or switch sides.