This type of move is more of an end of clock situation move, or when you can get a mismatch with a slower player guarding you. It is a more difficult shot, but if mastered, it can be an excellent move. Russell Westbrook is probably one of the best examples of a basketball player that has really mastered this off the dribble basketball fundamental.
The quicker and more explosive you are, the more the defense has to respect the blow-by. So if you can really be a double threat to either blow by the defender or pull up, you will have the player guarding you at your mercy. Add this move to your basketball training and start developing your off the dribble shooting.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do the Hesitation Pull Up Shot in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, dummy defender (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to Do a Euro Step in Basketball
- How to Do a Rondo Fake in Basketball
- How to Do a Pro Hop in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Work on selling that you will attack to the basket, but then really pull up into a shot.
- Stay low and athletic and really try to sell that you are going to blow by the defender.
- Stay balanced on your shot and hold your follow-through.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The basketball player will start with the basketball out above the 3 point line and begin attacking forward with the dribble.
- The player will hesitate to sell like they are going to blow by the defender, and as the defender backs up, they will pull up into a jump shot.
- Work on both midrange and 3 point shots.