If you are a dominant post player or a lot bigger than the defender guarding you, there is a good chance that the defense will try to deny the post feed and set a defender right on top of you. The defense will do all that they can to keep the basketball from getting into the post.
However, that doesn’t mean that the post is shut down. It just means that there needs to be another way to enter the ball. This is where the high low pass and high low post move come into play. Basically, what you will do with this move is exploit the defense for the way they are guarding the post. You are going to make a pass over the top of the defense for a finish at the basket. This is one of the basketball fundamentals that every post player should know how to do, and this video will teach you exactly how to execute the move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do a High Low Post Move in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to do a high low post-move.
- When the ball goes up to the top, make the move as quickly as possible because the defense will be rotating to help.
- The higher you can ride the defender up, the easier it will be to score.
- When you spin around, locate the basketball as quickly as possible and make sure that you catch the basketball.
- Don’t release too soon and let the defender tip the pass away.
- The passer needs to lead the post player on the pass.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Post up on the block, and as the defender tries to deny you the pass from the wing, begin to ride them up the lane line.
- When the pass goes up to the top of the key, you will drop step pivot and put the defender on your hip.
- You are going to raise your other hand to receive the pass over the top of the defense.
- As the pass comes, you will release, catch the ball, and then finish at the basket.