Great basketball shooters know that you have to get the work done before the ball gets there. This means that you need to be down ready and stepping into your shot as the basketball gets there. If you catch the ball standing straight up, your shot will be slower and give the defender more time to contest your shot. It will also lower your shooting percentage.
This basketball fundamentals video will teach you how to shoot a basketball by breaking down the fundamentals of shooting, but it will also help work on shot preparation. It will teach you how to shoot the correct way, and then start working on your shot. This will give you a strong foundation and give you a much higher ceiling. Being able to shoot the basketball consistently is a basketball fundamental that every player should be working on.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Shoot a Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, a basket, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 3 In a Row Warm Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Block to Block Shooting Drill
- Bob Knight Mid Range to 3 Point Shooting Drill
- 6 Ways to Improve as a Shooter in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Learn proper shot preparation, shooting form, and follow-through.
- There are 3 different ways you can come into your shot, and it is up to you to decide what way works best for you.
- Once you decide how you will do it, stick with it, and don’t switch back and forth.
- Here are the 3 ways:
- (A) Pivot into your shot right/left or left/right depending on the side of the floor and dominant hand.
- (B) Hop into your shot.
- (C) Step into your shot right/left or left/right depending on the side of the floor or dominant hand.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Stand Back 2-3 feet behind where you are going to shoot the ball.
- Drop your butt and hold your hands up ready to receive the pass.
- When the ball is coming towards you in the air, adjust behind it so that you don’t have to reach right or left for the ball.
- As the basketball touches your hands, pivot, step, or hop into your shot.
- Don’t dip the basketball, jump straight up and down, hold your follow-through, and land in the same spot you jumped from
Hello Please post more videos on the shot mechanics of shooting a basketball. We need more precise videos on how to shoot a basketball in depth, than you currently have on your site. Thank you. Like lining up, shooting straight, arc, release. etc.
This is a decent video, we need more of this please and in depth. Cheers.
Agreed. Is there somewhere else on the site we can find shooting mechanics or fundamentals?