This is a great vertical jump basketball drill because it not only works on your vertical and quick jumping ability, but it also makes you think while doing the drill. Building mental toughness takes practice, just like any other skill. At the end of a game, when you are tired, you need to remember the play your team is running. This also a great basketball workout for learning to change direction as a jumper. Whether it is forward, laterally, or backward it is important to jump and move in whatever direction you need to go during the course of a game.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Hurdle Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Several Cones or Mini-Hurdles or tape pattern on the ground.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve your vertical, quick jump, and mental toughness.
- Concentrate on landing as softly as you can.
- Begin slow to acclimate yourself with the pattern, then increase speed.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up mini-hurdles into a square.
- Stand in the middle and begin to jump in and out of the square at each side in a clockwise pattern.
- To advance this drill, you may attempt to perform these jumps with higher hurdles, more sides to the pattern, or on one leg.