The icky shuffle is just a type of step for footwork drills. You will use the 1-2, 1-2 rhythm going back and forth over the line every time while also rotating the basketball around your waist. This is such a good basketball workout because it causes the player to think while doing the workout and adds difficulty to the drill by adding a basketball.
Along with adding difficulty to the drill, the basketball helps to also maximize time. The player will be able to work on their footwork and hands at the same time. Most footwork and agility workouts are only going to focus on footwork, but not this one. The player must push themselves and go as fast as they can through the workout.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Icky Shuffle Line Footwork Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Foot Ups Footwork Basketball Drill
- Lateral Cone Steps Basketball Drill
- Single-Leg Hops Line Footwork Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your footwork and coordination.
- Be able to think while performing.
- Don’t let your heels touch the ground and stay as light as you can on your feet.
- Try not to let your feet touch the line.
- Push yourself to go as quickly as you can.
- It is alright to lose the basketball; this means that the player pushes themselves to go as hard as they can.
- You are only going to get out what you put into the drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start on either sideline in the corner with a basketball in your hands.
- Begin doing the icky shuffle (1-2, 1-2 step) back and forth over the line moving forward.
- As you move up the line, you are going to wrap the basketball around your waist.
- When you get to half court, you will come back but this time, rotate the ball the opposite way around your waist.