This is a great move to use out of the triple threat position because it is simple yet very effective. It is one of the key basketball fundamentals out of the triple threat position. However, for it to work, you first must be strong with the ball in the triple threat position and square up the defender. You will not be able to make this move with your back to the basket.
For the jab and go move, you will face your defender up, read them, jab at their foot, and then drive the ball right past them. From here you can pull up for a jump shot, finish at the basket, or create for a teammate. Whenever you play out of the triple threat, you must read your defender and then make your move or counter move based on what they are doing. If you predetermine what you are going to do, you won’t be able to have the same success. This basketball drill will show you exactly how to make the move through expert instruction and player demonstration.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to do a Jab and Go Move in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to do a Sweep Move in Basketball
- How to do a Jab and Go Opposite Move in Basketball
- Rip Through Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the jab and go move and learn the proper footwork of the move.
- Keep your eyes up and visualize the imaginary defender in front of you.
- Jab forwards, not out to the side.
- Push your dribble out in front of you and go somewhere with the dribble.
- Keep the ball at your core when you jab.
- Sell the move with your eyes, body, and ball.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with the basketball in the triple threat position out on the 3 point line.
- Jab forward at the imaginary defender or coach, don’t bring your foot back but step forward and sweep the basketball past the defender.
- Shoot a pull up or finish at the basket.
- Get your rebound and then repeat for the desired amount of repetitions.