If you have done a good job of ripping through and scoring, it is time to set your defender up with the jab and go opposite move. You must make the defender believe that you are going to sweep through to attack the basket. This will make them jump to cut you off and allow you to go the opposite direction instead for a pull-up or finish at the basket.
The jab and go opposite move is a great move to learn, and this basketball training video will teach you how to execute the move the correct way. After that, you can begin to practice the move and perfect it as you do. Being able to score out of the triple threat in basketball can add a lot of value to your game, and this move is one of the basketball fundamentals of the triple threat.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to do a Jab and Go Opposite Move in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Learn the proper footwork for the jab and go opposite move.
- Sell the move with your eyes, the basketball, and your body.
- Do your best to make the move look exactly like your sweep move.
- Don’t jab laterally; jab at the defender’s foot and make them react.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with the basketball in triple threat position at the 3 point line.
- If you have a coach, have them stand in front of the player and play dummy defense.
- The player will establish a pivot foot and then jab to their strong side at the defender’s foot.
- Without bringing the jab foot back in, the player will step across the defender and go the opposite direction.
- The player will put the ball on the ground as they step across and either pull up for a jump shot or get to the rim for a finish.