Great scorers in basketball are efficient with their dribbles. They recognize that the more they dribble, the more time the defense has to rotate into the help. In the NBA, there is defensive 3 seconds, so there is a little bit more space to isolate. However, at the college and high school levels, the defense will really load up the strong side if a player uses a lot of dribbles to score, and there will be no space to do anything.
That is why this triple threat basketball shooting drill is so important. It allows the offensive player to read the defender and then make an efficient move to score without over-dribbling and allowing the defense to help. Basketball drills like this are great because they work on specific types of shots and moves that a player will use during a game. Along with that, this is a great basketball shooting drill because it can be done without a partner if needed.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Jab Series Scoring Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 1 rebounder (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Box Drill Face Up Shot
- How to do a Jab and Go in Basketball
- Mid Range Jab Step Shot Partner Shooting Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on scoring out of the triple threat and with the jab step.
- Get into a triple threat position as soon as you catch the ball and stay low and athletic the entire time.
- Really work on the details of selling your move each time; visualize the defender in front of you when making the move.
- Cover ground when you make your dribble move and stay balanced on your shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start on either wing with the ball.
- You will shoot a total of 6 different shots and do each move 5 times before moving onto the next shot.
- Before every shot, you will start with your back to the basket, spin the ball to yourself just outside the 3 point line, and then square up into triple threat to the rim.
- You are going to use permanent pivot each time (if right-handed: left foot pivot. if left-handed: right foot pivot.).
- From the triple threat position, you can make your move.
- Here are the 6 different moves that you can work on.
- Rip Through One Dribble Pull-Up Shot.
- Jab Step Shot.
- Jab Step, Shot Fake, One Dribble Pull-Up Shot.
- Jab Step, Shot Fake, One Dribble Step Back Pull-Up Shot.
- Jab Step, Shot Fake, One Dribble Step Back Hesitation Finish at the Basket.
- 1-2-3 Shake, One Dribble Pull-Up Shot.