A great time to attack a defender is right on the catch when they are still closing out and, hopefully, slightly off balance. It is also a great time to attack because the defense hasn’t loaded up in the help yet, especially if it is a quick reversal.
This basketball drill will focus on selling that you are attacking hard one direction, but then as soon as the defender shifts over, you will really attack the opposite direction for a one-dribble pull-up shot. Basketball shooting drills like this are great because they allow you to get a lot of repetitions at a specific type of shot or move. This will allow you to master the move and develop confidence in your shot.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Jab Step Go Opposite Partner Shooting Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 1 partner (it can be done in groups of 3 and 4 as well).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Mid Range on the Move Partner Shooting Basketball Drill
- 3 Man 2 Ball Basketball Shooting Drill
- 3 Pointers on the Move Partner Shooting Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting and footwork.
- Practice passing with your weak hand during the drill; snap your passes.
- Be down ready before the ball comes to you.
- Sell your jab step and make sure you put the ball down before lifting your pivot foot.
- Make sure that you are attacking towards the basket and not laterally.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- One player is going to start with the ball anywhere outside the 3 point line.
- When this triple threat basketball shooting drill starts, the player will make a jab step and then do a one dribble opposite for a pull-up.
- The player will get their own rebound and then pass the ball out to their partner (with their weak hand), and then they will repeat the same move from anywhere around the 3 point line.
- Continue this back and forth pattern for a certain number of shots, makes, or time.