A big part of playing in the post in basketball is positioning. The deeper you can catch the ball and bury the defender under the basket, the better chance you will have of getting a finish or being fouled and put on the line. Sometimes, the defense will do a good job of pushing the offensive player farther out than they want to be on the catch.
When this happens, a great option is to kick the ball out and immediately repost and try to get deeper positioning. This post-move basketball drill will work on this exact situation and incorporate a ball-handling aspect to the basketball drill as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 5 Dribble Kickout and Repost Basketball Finishing Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, a post defender, a passer, and a pad.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Drop Step Gather and Finish Basketball Drill
- Florida Gators Jump Hook Post Series
- Post Position Hook Shot Basketball Finishing Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on handling the ball in the post and finishing off of a repost.
- Stay in an athletic stance the whole time and keep your eyes up seeing the floor when you handle the ball.
- Make an aggressive and explosive move on the finish.
- Show your hands when looking to receive the post entry pass.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start a couple of feet off of the block with the basketball.
- The post defender will be behind them, and the passer will be out on the wing.
- When the drill starts, the player will drop into an athletic stance and then take 5-pound dribbles while the post defender is pushing on them with the pad.
- After the 5th dribble, the player is going to kick the ball out to the passer.
- Immediately after kicking the ball out, the player will look to repost and get a deeper position.
- The passer will enter the ball, and the post player will drop step and attack to the middle for a hook shot.
- If the player misses, they will jump up and look to tip the ball back in.
- Reset and repeat this same action, or have the next player in line go.