Knee tucks are great for developing a player’s vertical jump as well as their explosiveness. It will help develop strength in the player’s legs, but it is also going to help teach good jumping technique and form. Whether it is using the arms, getting ankle extension on the jump, etc., all of these details are important to the player in being able to jump. Everything works in sync to help the player to be able to jump their highest.
Being able to jump high and jump quickly can add a lot of value to a player. It takes skills and learning the right moves to being a great basketball scorer, but if a player can elevate to get their shot off or finish at the basket over someone, it adds a lot of value. Getting in the gym and doing basketball drills is great, but you also need to dedicate time each week to working on becoming more athletic and explosive as a player. Athleticism is becoming such an important part of the game of basketball today.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Knee Tucks Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: None
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve vertical, explosiveness, and athleticism.
- Get your knees up as high as you can each time and land as lightly as you can.
- Really challenge yourself to jump as high as you can each time.
- Use your arms to help propel you upwards, and focus on good jumping technique.
- Don’t practice any bad jumping habits that will limit you down the road.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart facing straight forward.
- Jump as high as you can straight up and tuck your knees to your chest.
- Grab your knees with your hands and then release them before you land.
- As soon as you land, jump again, and repeat the motion.