Kobe Bryant was arguably one of the best basketball players of all time, and one of his primary tools for scoring was his pivot series. Kobe could use different pivot moves to fake his defender out and then allow himself to get his shot off.
This basketball drill will focus on the fake spin pivot move out of the Kobe Bryant pivot series. To use this move, you must drive to the basket under control and read the defender. Because you are under control, you have the option of completing the spin more or breaking it off and only using the half spin. You must read how the defender is guarding you to see which move you should use. This move is one of the basketball fundamentals for scoring off of a pivot.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Kobe Bryant Pivot Series Fake Spin Pull Up Shot Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a chair.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Kobe Bryant Pivot Series Rondo Fake Finish Basketball Drill
- Kobe Bryant Pivot Series Shot Fake Reverse Pivot Basketball Drill
- Kobe Bryant Pivot Series Pro Hop Shot Fake Reverse Pivot Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to do the Kobe Bryant fake spin pull up move and then practice it.
- Drive to the basket under control and try to use as few dribbles as you can.
- Visualize the defender in front of you and really sell the fake spin move.
- Try to get your body squared up to the basket after you use the fake spin move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Put a chair on either wing and have the player start with the basketball about 5 feet back from the chair.
- The player will dribble at the chair, make a move to the inside, get into the paint, pick the ball up, fake like they are going to spin, keep their pivot foot, and then rotate back around for the pull up instead.
- Get your own rebound and then get back in line to repeat the move.