Being able to jump laterally is a different feel from jumping straight up and down. Lateral cone hops work on your vertical as well as your ability to jump quickly laterally. This is also a plyometric exercise because you are using your body’s force coming down against you on the next jump. The reason you do this is because it tricks your body into jumping higher. This is a great basketball vertical jump drill to add to your on-court basketball training to make sure that you are developing your athleticism and your basketball skills.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Lateral Cone Hops Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Cones.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve Jumping, quickness, Footwork
- Begin with a lower hurdle or cone and focus on ground contact time and maintaining an athletic position.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Beginning in an athletic position, jump over the cones and land in an athletic position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions or time.
- Begin by performing one jump at a time, and then work your way up to executing several continuous jumps in a row.