Moving laterally and jump laterally has a lot to do with hip mobility and core strength. Lateral squats will help you work on your hip mobility and help you develop the proper jumping technique. Make sure that you watch the basketball training video closely and do your best to mimic the jumping motion. This is a great vertical jump basketball drill to add to your on-court training or the weight room.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Lateral Squat Jumps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve lateral jumping form and explosiveness.
- Land on the balls of your feet and quickly sit back on your heels.
- Focus on firing up as quickly and as explosively as you can.
- Swing your arms to propel yourself upwards.
- Minimize ground Time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Beginning from an athletic position, jump as high and as far laterally as you can, landing in an athletic position.
- Repeat until you reach the end of the court.
- Advance this drill by immediately jumping again upon landing.
- This will minimize ground contact time and improve power.