The leg whip is a pretty basic basketball move that you can use in the post to help get your hook shot off over your defender. It would be considered one of the basketball fundamentals of posting up, and if mastered, it can really help post players finish right in front of the basket.
This move is a must if you want to be a dominant post player because it is tough to guard if done right. The defensive player’s job is to stay low and wide and keep their body in between you and the basket, but if you can get your foot out and around his outside foot, then you are going to be able to leg whip them and be able to get to your hook shot. This basketball drill will teach you how to use the move so that you can use it the next time you are down on the block posting up.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do a Leg Whip Post Move in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Post Position Hook Shot Finish Basketball Drill
- Two-Ball Same Side Hook Shot Mikan Drill
- 8 Keys to Basketball Post Player Development
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to use a leg whip in the post.
- Make sure that you don’t raise your elbows up and get called for an offensive foul when you make the move.
- Set up the leg whip by faking the other way first, don’t give away the move or it won’t work.
- After you make the move, keep your body between the basketball and the defender so that you can get your hook shot off.
- Do not open your chest up to the defender, or they will block the hook shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Post up on the block with a defender playing token defense behind you.
- If you have a passer, then have them post feed. If not, spin the basketball to yourself and catch it.
- Check your inside shoulder to read the defense.
- Take a dribble, make a slight fake like you are going baseline with your shoulders, and then take your high foot and step over the top of the defensive player’s high foot.
- Rotate your body around and shoot a hook shot off of both feet. (keep your body between the defender and the ball).