Lunge jumps are great for opening up your hips and improving your flexibility when jumping. Too many athletes don’t use the proper technique when jumping, and it isn’t that they are not strong enough; it is that they don’t really know how to jump. This is a great basketball vertical jump drill for getting a lot of reps at jumping the right way.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Lunge Jumps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Develop the proper jumping technique and work on flexibility
- Use your arms to propel yourself upwards.
- Land with your chest up and your hips underneath your shoulders.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- From a lunge position, jump as high as you can, driving off both legs and landing in the same lunge position.
- Advance this drill by performing several continuous lunge jumps.
- Drill Variations:
- Switch feet in the air and land in a lunge position again, but with your feet switched.
- Furthermore, perform a double switch in the air and land in the same lunge position.