This basketball speed and agility drill will work on a player’s first-step quickness and getting off to a good start in their sprinting motion. Basketball is a game of stopping and starting, so to be explosive, you need to have a quick first step. This basketball workout will help to teach you the techniques of a quick first step and how to get your body moving forward as you start to move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Mat Dive Speed Training Drill
Equipment Needed: Mat
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Wall Explosion Speed Training Drill
- The Techniques of Running – First Step Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Drive Phase Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Teach the proper technique for a quick start
- Role forward and shoot out as far and fast as you can
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place the mat a few feet in front of the athlete.
- The athlete will start in an athletic position and roll forward onto his toes, and at the last second, he will shoot out as far as he can onto the mat.