This basketball move is a bit more difficult to use, and it takes some practice to become efficient at it. However, it is a great move to use if the defender is slightly trailing you when you catch the ball on the move. Since their momentum is already carrying them forward, when you jab, they will overreact and continue to move forward, and this will open up a look at a mid-range shot.
As you go through this basketball shooting drill, footwork is a big key to learning this move. So make sure that you focus on it and don’t travel by dragging your pivot foot. Basketball drills like this are great because they allow you to get a lot of repetitions at the same move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Mid Range Jab Step on the Move Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1-3 basketballs and 1-3 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Mid Range Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
- Mid Range Bad Pass Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
- Mid Range Jab Step Shot Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on selling the jab step move and then raising up for a mid-range jump shot.
- Jump straight up and down on your shot, don’t kick your leg out.
- Make sure that you establish your pivot foot and don’t drag it.
- Sell your jab step.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter will move in the mid-range either right or left, looking to get the ball.
- As they catch the basketball, they will immediately jab step and then raise up for a shot.
- After a player shoots, they will track down their own shot and then pass it to the next open shooter before relocating and getting ready for their next shot.
- This cycle continues for a certain amount of time, shots, or number of group or individual makes.
- This drill can be done in groups of 2, 3, or 4, and you want to have one less basketball than people in the group.