Nothing can fully simulate game pressure, and it is tough to prepare for shooting a big shot at the end of a game in an empty gym by yourself. However, there are still basketball drills like this that will help make you mentally strong and prove that you can hit shots even with pressure.
You will work on your shot and get up a lot of reps, but you are also going to train your mind so that it is no longer a big deal to hit multiple shots in a row; it is an everyday thing. By penalizing the shooter for missing a shot in this basketball shooting drill, you make them have to shoot with pressure. Also, as time starts running out, it adds even more pressure to the shooter. This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will teach players how to stay calm, relaxed, and deal with the added pressure. It will also allow for a large number of quality shooting repetitions.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Mid Range Make 2 Miss 1 Pressure Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 2 Minute Magic Basketball Shooting Drill
- Peer Pressure Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
- 5 Point Numbers Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your shot and shooting under pressure.
- Always be thinking about the next shot and clear all negative thoughts out of your head.
- Each shot is a new shot, and whether it goes in or not is determined by you.
- Come into your shot the same way every time and practice good basketball shooting mechanics.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player shooting the basketball will shoot from 5 different midrange spots inside the 3 point line; both corners, both wings, and the top of the key, and they will have a total of 2 minutes to complete the drill.
- He/she will start in the corner ready to shoot, and they must make 2 shots in a row to get to the next spot.
- They will have to make 2 shots in a row from each spot, but if they miss a shot, they must go back to the previous spot (except if they are already in the starting corner).
- The drill stops when the player makes 2 consecutive shots from each spot or the 2 minutes runs out.