When your team gets a rebound, you want to be able to immediately turn and get out and run (if your team fast breaks). Developing this first step quickness into a sprint takes practice, and mountain climber starts are a great way to do this. You are getting training on the right footwork and getting plenty of reps at the start of your sprint motion. This basketball speed and quickness workout can be done along with your on-court basketball training or separately by itself.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Mountain Climber Start Drill (Variation)
Equipment Needed: none.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve starting speed/quickness
- Don’t arch your back, stay low, explode straight out.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with your hands on the ground in a push-up position and bring your right or left knee up to your chest.
- When the coach says, go or on your own command, shoot out and sprint down the court.
- The difference of this drill is that instead of just coming up into mountain climber position and sprinting out, you will do some mountain climbers before you sprint out.