The jab step go opposite basketball move is a great move to use when a defender is just a little bit late closing out on you. Because the defender is late in closing out, you can use their momentum against them. As they close out towards you, sell the jab, and they will be forced to react, which will open up a lane going the other way.
This triple threat basketball shooting drill allows you to get a lot of reps at this particular move and also helps you work on your conditioning and footwork. In order to use a specific move in a game, you have to have mastered it first in the gym, and basketball drills like this will give you that needed practice time.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Movement Jab Step Go Opposite Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, a chair/cone, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to do a Jab and Go Opposite in Basketball
- Teammate 3 in a Row Basketball Shooting Drill
- Run the Line Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the footwork for the jab step go opposite move, conditioning, and shooting.
- If you are right-handed, you will always use your left foot as the pivot foot, and if you are left-handed, your right foot.
- Make sure that you jab towards the basket and not sideways.
- Keep your eyes up on the jab and dribble.
- Try to cover as much as you can on the dribble to create more space in a game from the defender.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have a chair set up about 2-3 feet above the 3 point line anywhere around the arc.
- The player will start behind the chair and then step in on either side of the chair.
- As he/she does, the passer is going to pass them the ball.
- They will make a jab step go opposite move for a one-dribble pull-up shot.
- After shooting the basketball, they will backpedal around the chair and go to the other side of the chair and do the same move.
- Continue going back and forth.
- This basketball shooting drill can be done for time, shots, or makes.