Being able to dribble the basketball is just one step to being a point guard. You also have to keep your eyes up and read the game while you dribble the ball. This means that you need to dribble the basketball so well that you don’t even have to think about it.
The number basketball drill is a great way to work on ball handling, conditioning, and thinking, all in the same basketball drill. As you begin to get tired, you will have to rely on your mental toughness. At the end of a close game, you need to be sharp mentally, even if you are tired. The number drill one basketball combo moves is a great one ball basketball dribbling drill for all ages and skill levels.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Number Drill 1 Basketball Combo Move
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, 5 chairs, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Become a better ball handler and work on thinking while you are tired.
- Keep your eyes up the whole time.
- Stay low in an athletic stance and protect the ball as you dribble.
- Don’t be afraid to mess up and push yourself to go as quickly as you can from chair to chair.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up 4 chairs in the shape of a box just inside the 3 point line, and then place the 5th chair in the middle of the box.
- The chairs will be numbered 1-5, starting with the chair on the left baseline (if you are standing under the basket) and going clockwise all the way around; the center chair is number 5.
- Start at chair number 1 and dribble all the way around, making a combo move at each chair.
- It can be any combo move that you want to use.
- After you get to chair number 5, the coach will call out the number of the next chair that the player will go to it and make a combo move.
- After about 45-60 seconds, the coach will call out “finish.”
- At this point, the player will finish with a layup.