The number drill is a great combination basketball shooting drill for players who handle the ball a lot in a game and use off-ball screens. If you are a point guard, you will have to dribble the basketball while also executing the offense and reading the defense.
This basketball drill will work on your handles but also make you think during the drill. Along with that, it also incorporates shooting at the end of the drill. This will help you become a better shooter and work on mental toughness and hitting shots when you are tired.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Number Drill 2 Ball Combo Move 15 Point Finish
Equipment Needed: 2 Basketballs, 5 Chairs, and a Partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your handles, conditioning, shooting, and mental toughness.
- Be creative with your moves, and don’t use the same move two chairs in a row.
- Stay low when dribbling the basketball and challenge yourself to go quickly from chair to chair.
- Make sure that you set the imaginary defender up each time before coming off the different screens/chairs for shots.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place 4 chairs in the shape of a box just inside the 3 point line, and then place the 5th chair in the middle of the box.
- The chairs will be numbered 1-5, starting with the chair to the left (when standing under the basket) and going all the way around to the center chair, which is chair 5.
- The player is going to start at chair number 1 with both basketballs.
- He/she will dribble the basketballs to each chair in order and make a combo move (2 consecutive moves in a row).
- After making the final move at chair 5, the coach will call out the next chair that the player must go to and make a combo move.
- The coach will call out random chair numbers for 30-40 seconds and then say finish.
- At this point, the player will drop one of the basketballs and then make a layup.
- Now the player must use the chairs as different screens.
- They can use a straight, curl, fade, or Kentucky cut on any of the chairs for a shot.
- The player must score a total of 15 points to complete this basketball shooting drill (2’s and 3’s).