This partner tennis ball basketball drill will help the player work on their ball handling, communication, and thinking while dribbling the basketball. If you struggle to handle the basketball in a game, you will only focus on not losing the ball while you are dribbling. Still, if you can dribble the basketball without having to think about it, you free yourself up to read the defense and make the correct offensive play.
This basketball drill is great because it forces the player to dribble the basketball with their eyes up while also focusing on the tennis ball. The player gets so used to handling the basketball without having to think about it that it transfers over into the game.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Partner Tennis Ball Toss Rhythm Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 tennis balls, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss Crossover Basketball Drill
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss Between the Legs Basketball Drill
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss Behind the Back Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on four different dribbling moves all in the same basketball dribbling drill and become a better ball handler.
- Make sure that you know which move you are on and that you give your partner a good toss.
- Push yourself to go as quickly as you can for this drill.
- Don’t be afraid to mess up; challenge yourself.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with a basketball in each player’s right hand and a tennis ball in their other.
- Have them face each other about 8 feet apart and begin to dribble the basketball.
- At the same time, both players will toss the tennis ball to each other, and while the ball is in the air, they will cross the basketball over to their left hand.
- They must catch the tennis ball with their right hand before it hits the ground.
- The players must do these moves in this order; crossover x2, between the legs x2, behind the back x2, and reverse between the legs x2. Continue to go through the moves in this order for the desired amount of time.