A big part of dominating the block on offense comes down to having great post position. If the post player can catch the ball closer to the basket, their scoring percentage goes way up. So the defensive player will do their best to drive the offensive player out or take away passing angles for the post entry pass. This is where being able to get great position and seal off the defender comes into play.
Once an offensive post player gets good positioning, they need to seal the defender off and create a passing angle for the player entering the ball. This basketball post move drill will highlight some great teaching points for this action and then allow for many repetitions at the move itself.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Post Position and Seal Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, 2 passers, and a post defender with a pad (can be done without a pad if needed).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- High Low Post Basketball Drill
- Post Position Hook Shot Finish Basketball Drill
- How to do a Duck In Post Move in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Work on getting great post position, sealing off the defender, and then finishing at the basket.
- Make sure that you are aware of your positioning, don’t want to be too high up or too low towards the baseline.
- It is also important that you make sure you are keeping a 3-second count in your head if you are in the paint.
- Don’t release too early to receive the pass.
- This will give the defender the chance to reach in and knock the ball away.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the block posting up with a dummy defender holding the pad guarding them.
- There is going to be a passer on the high wing and low wing.
- To start this basketball drill, the ball will be with the high passer, and the defender will be on the top side of the offensive player, taking away the entry pass.
- The ball will then be passed to the low wing passer.
- While this is happening, the offensive post player must seal off the defender to create a passing angle.
- The ball is going to be entered into the post player, and they must catch and finish.
- Immediately the offensive player will get the ball out of the net and begin again.
- Sometimes the dummy defender will fight over the offensive player when the ball is entered to the low passer.
- At this time, the offensive player will seal the defender the other way, and the ball will be quickly swung to the top passer before being entered in for the post feed and finish to the middle.
- Complete 6-8 reps and then switch a new post player in or rest if there is only one player.