One of the best ways for post players to get easy baskets is off of guard penetration. The guard gets past their defender, forcing the post defender to step up and help on the drive. From here, the post player needs to space, catch the ball, and then negotiate the finish at the basket.
Depending on how the post defender recovers to help, there will be different options for finishing. If the post defender doesn’t recover in time on the dump-off, the offensive post player can just go finish. However, this post-move basketball drill will simulate the post defender recovering in time and then looking to block the shot.
This basketball drill is going to work on multiple post offensive skills all at the same time. It is going to work on footwork, hand coordination, and finishing at the basket. It is great for both one on one training and also small group training. It will allow the player(s) to get a lot of repetitions and get comfortable with the move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Post Pull Through Shot Fake Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1-2 basketballs, 1-2 partners, and a pad (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Post Pull Through Shot Fake Reverse Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
- Pull Through Crab Dribble Reverse Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on footwork, catching the ball, and then finishing around the basket.
- Get as much space as you can on the release off of the block, but make sure that you are catching the ball with your momentum moving towards the basket.
- Show your hands on the pass, and be ready to catch a bad pass if needed.
- The passer can throw harder passes and bad passes to make the post player work on their hands even more.
- If you have an extra partner and a pad, you can have someone in the paint that the post player must finish through.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the block in a post-up position, and the passer will start by the elbow with the ball.
- When the drill starts, the player will back off the block to the short corner (simulating guard penetration).
- The passer will fire a pass to the player, and the player must catch the ball, step through with a crab dribble, shot fake, and then finish with their shoulders squared to the backboard.
- If the player misses, they will immediately jump and tip the ball back in.
- Once the player makes the shot, they will repeat or get back in line (if multiple players are in the drill).
- After the desired amount of makes or repetitions, switch sides of the basket.